Paul was fascinated by the exotic Oceania world, which he captured in this artwork. He often had incredible recollections of Tahiti and romantic dreams of the all earth's harmony. The Nave Nave Noe painting by Paul Gauguin features two Tahitian girls. The girls symbolize different stages in life. One of the girls is a young islander with a halo over her head. The image of this young girl is an embodiment of virgin purity. The second girl appears to be holding a fruit in her hand and ready to take a bite out of it. He tried to create a representation of Eve from the Bible. The other part of the painting features other islanders that appear to be dancing around an idol of some mysterious traditional god. The picture also features natural phenomena like flowers, trees, and a water body behind the two girls.
There are two other characters in the picture beside the water body. One appears half-dressed, and the other is entirely naked and seated on the edge of the river. The image itself does not feature a dream. This means that the name is derived from the fact that the picture represents Paul's dreams following his time in Tahiti. This painting is a revelation of Paul Gauguin's unique style through the purity of the colors used. The colors are applied in generalized flat parts of the canvas, like the lines. Ther are all subjugates to an individual rhythm.
Nave nave moe by Paul Gauguin is currently located at the Hermitage Museum. Before this, in 1895, the painting was displayed at an art exhibition at the Hrouot Hotel auction house. At this time, it went by the name Eau delicieuse, meaning delicious water. In 1907, the piece was bought by Ivan Morozov, a collector from Moscow. Following the Bolshevik Nationalization, it was exhibited at the Modern Western Art Museum before being transferred to its current location in 1931. The Nave nave moe by Paul Gauguin was created in 1894 as modern art. It features the symbolism art style. Paul Gauguin made several other artworks depicting Tahitian subjects like the Nave nave Mahana in 1896, which is currently part of the Lyon Museum collection. Both paintings feature Maori language titles.